MSA-VT IS HIRING!
Deadline to apply: 11/17/17 or until position is filled
Job Title: Small Business Outreach Coordinator
Location: Burlington, VT, with frequent travel across the state
About the Main Street Alliance: Founded in 2008, the Main Street Alliance is a national network of state-based small business coalitions. Small business is a critical voice in key policy debates ranging from affordable health care to higher job quality standards issues to fair taxes and public investment. Small businesses can serve as powerful messengers with decision-makers, the media and the public, and the Main Street Alliance seeks to ensure that small business voices are heard in important policy debates. Main Street Alliance of Vermont is the Vermont state chapter of the Main Street Alliance and was founded in July 2014.
Position Summary: The Small Business Outreach Coordinator will conduct outreach to small business owners and support businesses working with The Main Street Alliance of Vermont. The Main Street Alliance of Vermont is a chapter of the national Main Street Alliance network and a project of People’s Action Institute. Our mission is to advance public policies that benefit small business owners, their employees, and the communities they serve. The Main Street Alliance of Vermont Small Business Outreach Coordinator will work with Main Street Alliance staff to develop a coordinated organizing plan, conduct direct outreach, help develop and implement a grassroots fundraising plan, develop small business leaders, and connect small business owners to opportunities to impact decision-makers, opinion leaders, and the media. This position requires frequent travel around the state. The Main Street Alliance of Vermont Small Business Outreach Coordinator reports to The Main Street Alliance of Vermont State Director.
Job Description: The responsibilities of The Main Street Alliance of Vermont Small Business Outreach Coordinator relate primarily to outreach/recruitment, leadership development, and mobilization of small business owners in our network to engage decision-makers, the media, and the public in support of public policy issues like health care reform, fair taxes, and community-centered workplace policy reform. Responsibilities include:
- Work with staff to develop a coordinated small business outreach plan for the state, and participate in the development of the national Main Street Alliance network
- Conduct small business recruitment in key areas around the state
- Identify and develop small business leadership/spokesperson teams for direct engagement with decision-makers, media opportunities, legislative testimony, peer outreach, and leadership training.
- Engage emerging small business leaders in peer outreach and research – collecting petitions and surveys – to develop leadership and build resources for research products.
- Coordinate and implement meetings and events in key areas around the state for a variety of purposes including: to provide education, to build local small business leadership teams, to engage small business owners more deeply in public policy issues, to identify potential small business spokespeople and candidates for a coalition steering committee, to create media opportunities for small business leaders, or for other purposes as identified.
- Organize small business owners to participate in events or actions hosted by other or partner organizations to elevate the voice of small business owners and impact public debate.
- Help develop and implement a grassroots fundraising plan to support the work of the organization.
- Commitment to a vision of racial, gender, social, and economic justice and to building the collective voice of small business owners in Vermont
- 2 years experience in community/grassroots organizing, political campaigns and/or legislative work
- Experience with grassroots fundraising preferred
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytic ability and capacity to understand and effectively communicate complex policy issues
- Ability to produce consistent, high quality work in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness and ability to travel around the state on a regular basis and to work flexible hours
- Ability to work independently, solid time management skills
- Strong facilitation skills
- Computer skills (word processing, spreadsheet & database management, Power Point, electronic communications, social media and website management)
- Experience with local or national campaign work a plus
- There will be an evaluation after three months, and then ongoing at the end of each year.
- Salary Range: 45-50k DOE.
- Generous benefits, including health and dental coverage, retirement contributions, paid vacation, sick time, personal days, and holidays, as per personnel policies.
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Lindsay DesLauriers, MSA-VT State Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: MSA-VT Small Business Outreach Coordinator Position
We are looking for committed, enthusiastic people with a sense of humor to join our team! The Main Street Alliance is committed to equal opportunity, and are considering applicants of all races, gender, ages, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religion, and abilities. We urge people of color, and experienced organizers and activists of all backgrounds, to apply.