Family and Medical Leave Insurance
H.196, a bill that would create statewide family and medical leave insurance program, was assigned to the House Committee on General, Housing, and Military Affairs and presented to the committee by lead sponsor Representative Matt Trieber (D-Bellows Falls). The bill has tri-partisan support and more than 50 cosponsors. To learn more about this bill, check out our web page on VT FaMLI.
Legislation was introduced in the House and Senate to support affordable housing in Vermont. The bills propose a $2 per night surcharge on hotel, motel and AirBnB stays, which will finance the ‘Workforce and Supportive Housing Fund.’ The fund will be managed by the Vermont Housing and Conservation Board. This proposal will give Vermonters better access to housing through rental assistance and housing related services.
The House Committee on General, Housing, and Military Affairs held a public hearing on Thursday night on the proposal to increase the minimum wage incrementally to $15/hr. The committee heard an hour of testimony.
The House Human Services and Senate Health and Welfare committees began considering legislation that would require review of the “benefits cliff.” This legislation is intended to examine how best to ensure that Vermonters are able to meet their basic needs when they are no longer eligible for assistance programs because the minimum wage has increased.
- Matt Birong: The Puzder Puzzle - VT Digger
- Workers and Businesses Split on Raising the Minimum Wage - VT Digger
- Scott Throws Down Challenge to Immigration Enforcement - VT Digger
- Black Lives Matter Vermont Brings Advocacy to the Statehouse - VT Digger
- Bill To Keep Vermont Police From Participating In Trump's Orders Gets Tri-Partisan Support - VPR
- Lawmakers: Scott Budget Proposal Shorts Medicaid Projection by $10M - VT Digger