The Main Street Alliance of Vermont is Hiring
Applications accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis
Job Title: Communications Manager
Location: Montpelier, VT
About the Main Street Alliance:
Founded in 2008, the Main Street Alliance is a national network of state-based small business coalitions. The small business voice is a critical voice in key policy debates ranging from workplace policy standards to health care to fair taxes and public investments. Small business owners can serve as powerful messengers with decision-makers, the media and the public, and the Main Street Alliance seeks to ensure that the voices of small business owners are heard throughout the country. Main Street Alliance of Vermont is the Vermont chapter of the Main Street Alliance and was founded in July 2014.
The Communications Manager will manage Main Street Alliance of Vermont’s strategic communications program. This includes projects related to issue-based campaign work, membership programs, and media relations. Additionally, the Communications Manager is responsible for analyzing data collected by Main Street Alliance of Vermont as well as engaging in targeted policy research projects for both internal use and publication. This position will support MSA-VT staff and membership with campaigns communications including developing communications strategies and products, messaging frameworks, membership development and fundraising campaigns, and earned media. The Main Street Alliance of Vermont Communications Manager reports to The Main Street Alliance of Vermont State Director.
The responsibilities of The Main Street Alliance of Vermont Communications Manager will focus on a) member communications b) managing the Main Street Alliance of Vermont’s traditional and online media profile, c) developing and producing engaging membership and fundraising products and programs, d) developing and managing campaign and coalition communications strategies and products, and e) research to support the development and promotion of Main Street Alliance of Vermont’s policy platform. These responsibilities include:
- Develop, implement, and evaluate communications strategies to accomplish Main Street Alliance mission and goals
- Draft op-eds, letters to the editor, blog posts and social media posts related to Main Street Alliance campaigns
- Manage Main Street Alliance’s rapid-response communications needs, including email alerts, press releases and statements, and connect members, leaders and staff with earned media opportunities
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action
- Develop regular internal and external news listservs and other content to support coalitions, leadership, and at-large membership lists
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, fact sheets, newsletters, brochures, and the Main Street Alliance of Vermont’s webpage and social media platforms
- Work with other organizational partners to support coordinated communications strategies
- Work with elected officials to support shared goals
- Webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information is posted regularly
- Manage all media contacts
- Work with MSA-VT State Director and field staff to develop key topics and strategies for field and survey research projects
- Monitor and analyze field and survey data collected by Main Street Alliance of Vermont
- Conduct targeted research projects to support and inform policy platform development
- Develop issue briefs, white papers, reports, and multimedia presentations related to MSA-VT’s policy initiatives
- Provide support on other organizational activities as deemed necessary by MSA-VT State Director
The Main Street Alliance is seeking a Communications Manager with 3+ years of communications experience. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and impactful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Strong research skills and an ability to work with primary sources
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with new media tools and openness to expanding skills in this area
- Experience in working with and creating communications for organizational staff and leaders
- Ability to maintain message consistency
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice, especially work with business owners from immigrant communities and communities of color
- Self-starter, able to work independently; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suites
- Campaign experience a plus
- Project management experience a plus
- Coalition experience a plus
- Demonstrated experience using database and content management systems and web design a plus
- There will be an evaluation after the first month, again at the six-month mark, then ongoing at the end of each year.
- Salary Range: 45-53k DOE
- Generous benefits, including: health and dental coverage, retirement contributions, paid vacation, sick time, personal days, and holidays, as per personnel policies.
To apply, e-mail a cover letter, resumé, writing sample, and references to: email@example.com with the subject line: MSA-VT Communications Manager.
We are looking for committed, enthusiastic people with a sense of humor to join our communications team! The Main Street Alliance is committed to equal opportunity, and are considering applicants of all races, gender, ages, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religion, and abilities. We urge people of color, and experienced communications professionals of all backgrounds, to apply.